Here are some do’s and don’ts I’d like to add!
– Be patient with communication.
– If a Deaf person does not understand you, try again to convey your message, but do not dismiss them.
– Be friendly.
– Don’t assume deaf people are not intelligent.
– Don’t assume all deaf people know ASL.
– Do not kick or throw things to get someone’s attention.
– Don’t pretend to understand if you do not.
These are just some common do’s and don’ts in ASL conversation that I’ve experienced.
Comments for Some Deaf Culture Do’s and Don’ts