Learn Sign Language Online (ASL 2 – Unit 10)
ASL 2 – Unit 10
In this unit as you learn sign language online, you will be learning how to sign object locations.
Visit the Online Course Vocabulary Category for this unit to view videos of these phrases.
- I put a camera on the top of my front door entrance.
- My aunt lost her way through New York City while looking for the Yankee stadium.
- My uncle doesn’t want his kitchen table anymore and will sell it cheap.
- The monkeys at the zoo remind me of my sister’s farm.
If you are learning American Sign Language with a partner, practice this conversation together:
A: I heard that you renovated your living room. Is that true?
B: Yes, I rearranged my living room.
A: Wow, I remember that it was already beautiful before. You had a fire place against the back wall, a floral patterned couch against the right wall, a Persian rug in the middle of the floor, with an oak coffee table on it. What does it look like now?
B: Now, the fire place is in the back left corner, the couch is on the left wall, and we have a new chandelier hanging in the center of the room.
If you do not have a partner, practice signing with Deborah! In the video below, Deborah will be person B. Pause the video when prompted, and reply as person A.
Another way to practice classifiers and giving directions is by describing where an object is located. You would use this if you are asking someone to get it for you.
To describe the location of an object, you need to:
- Identify the room where the object is (i.e. bedroom)
- Visualize the room as if you are standing in the doorway
- Identify the part of the room the object is in
- Narrow down the location (i.e. next to the bed, in the nightstand, in the first drawer)
- Identify the exact location of the object by pointing
Object Locations Practice 10.1
Turn to page 12 in your workbook. In the video below, Darcy will sign the location of 5 objects in the room in the picture in your workbook. For each number, write the letter of the location described and the object that was described.
Notice the objects that are signed and which ones were left out because they weren’t necessary for the explanation. Go back and sign with Darcy for practice.