Learning sign language is so much fun! Welcome to the third class in the Start ASL online curriculum!
- ASL 3 WORKBOOK (PDF) (Required & Free) – You will use the workbook for the class assignments and activities.
- ASL 3 Vocabulary Study Sheet (PDF) (Helpful & Free) – This is a list of all the vocabulary words in ASL 2.
- A Webcam/Video camera (Required) – In this class, you will be completing expression assignments by recording your signing. Don’t be shy! Since you are learning sign language online, this is a great way to make sure you are on the right track!
- The Don’t Just “Sign”… Communicate! Student Guides (Highly Recommended) – Readings are assigned from these books throughout the Start ASL curriculum for further learning and more in-depth studies. We highly recommend these books for every ASL student. These guides not only cover all of the essential information about ASL and Deaf Culture you will need for your ASL journey, but the ASL grammar book is the only book for students completely dedicated to ASL grammar. You will be able to learn how to successfully and accurately sign in ASL right from the beginning–something most ASL students don’t get to do!
- ASL 1, 2, & 3 – Complete Online Version (Optional) – We also offer the complete Start ASL Online Course – a premium version of these online classes. With the premium version, you get access to all the Start ASL vocabulary, lessons, and activities in a more organized and easy-to-follow format, with no advertisements, the ability to watch the videos in slower motion, an exclusive group and forum, the option to submit assignments for viewing and commenting by other students, and a completion certificate. We highly recommend this option for serious students who want to form a community of active learners and learn ASL together.
- ASL 2 Offline Course (Optional) – The Start ASL online classes are available as an instant download. This one file contains all of the lesson and vocabulary videos as well as the lessons and workbook. You can take the course using our offline webpage course, our offline PDF course, or both! Only one download and you will have full access to the ASL 1 class on your computer without an internet connection. We highly recommend this if you need access to the class offline, need to download the videos all at once, want to watch the videos in slower motion, or want to learn in person with a group.
- Start ASL Tutoring Program (Optional) – With the Start ASL Tutoring Program, you have access to professional ASL tutors who can help you with concepts you may be struggling with or who can just help you practice what you’ve learned. This is a great option if you are serious about learning and being able to effectively communicate in ASL.
This section will give you a list of phrases and vocabulary words to study for the activities in the class.
- Conversation Review
This section will help you review conversations and practice your conversation receptive skills.
American Sign Language has a unique grammar structure and you will be learning sign language grammar in this class. In every Unit, there will be sections that discuss (and sometimes demonstrate) ASL grammar.
- Grammar Practice
These sections give you a chance to practice the grammar rules identified in the ASL grammar sections. These usually consist of a video with questions.
In this section, I will give you an expression assignment. This is so you can practice your expressive skills instead of only comprehension and receptive skills.
Because there is so much to these lessons, I want to make sure you know that some pages may take a while to load because of the videos. Please be patient because the wait time is definitely worth it!
Ok, enough of my rambling…