Deaf Events in the Midwest United States

Deaf Events in the Midwest

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin

If you’re looking for Deaf events in the mid-western United States or want to post your own, you’ve come to the right place!

To Search Deaf events in your state, use your browser’s Find ability (CTRL+F) to search for your state’s name on the page.

To Post Deaf events in your state, leave a comment below with the name, address, date, and time, and be sure to use your state’s full name in your comment below so others can Search it easily.

We try our best to find you accurate events for you to attend. Some events are free, while other events require tickets or an entrance fee. We are not responsible for cancelled events. Contact information is provided as available for each event and not affiliated with StartASL.com.

Happy signing!

109 replies
  1. Andrew Kirby
    Andrew Kirby says:

Hello! Looking for upcoming events in the NW Missouri area around Kansas City to attend or groups to hang out with. I’m very new to signing and am wanting to learn as much as I can.

2. Jessica M.
    Jessica M. says:

Olathe, KS
    10/25/19
    Danny Skits Show
    7pm-9pm
    Kansas School for the Deaf, 450 E. Park St., Olathe, KS 66061
    Description: Danny Murphy is a British Deaf actor and he is fluent in British Sign Language, BSL. Deaf Hangout, Inc. is very proud to present Danny’s Skits Show and it is a comedy and kid friendly performance. He will use both languages, BSL and ASL during his show!
    Purchase Tickets here: https://dho.deafstore.com/RMDS2019OCT23.html

3. Jana Bucher
    Jana Bucher says:

Are there any deaf events in which I could practice my ASL and learn more about deaf culture near Bloomington Indiana? I live south of Bloomington between Bloomington, Indiana and Evansville.

4. AbbyBoggs1
    AbbyBoggs1 says:

Hi! My name is Abby and I’m looking for deaf events near Cedar Rapids, IA. I’d really like to meet up to practice and to learn more about ASL! Thanks!

• Jessica M.
      Jessica M. says:

I found this event. You should email the contact person to see what time they meet up.

Waterloo, IA
      Meeting/Social
      4th Saturday of each month except May and December
      Cedarloo Association of the Deaf
      Location: North Star Community Services
      3420 University Ave
      Waterloo, IL 50701
      Co-hosts/ Contact person: Norma Jean Mangrich, njscady@aol.com

5. Arkasia
    Arkasia says:

Hi! My name is Cadhla, I am looking for someone around Peoria, IL area. I have been looking to meet up with someone so I can practice in person. If you are interested or know of any events in my area please let me know:)

6. Jessica M.
    Jessica M. says:

Chicago, IL
    Chicago Deaf and ASL Community will be hosting a variety of different events, including social outings for those who are already fluent in sign, conversation practice nights for fellow ASL students (the main reason they started the group), vocabulary-building workshops for beginners, and a gaming club for both board games and roleplaying games. Looking for others who would like host events through this, so please drop them a line with your interest! https://www.meetup.com/Chicago-Deaf-ASL-Community

• Jessica M.
      Jessica M. says:

Here are some monthly events:

Date: 1st Friday of every month
      Deaf Coffee Chat in Skokie
      Panera Bread, 9611 Skokie Blvd., Skokie, IL
      6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
      Contact: mariahsnest@gmail.com or wernersandi@yahoo.com

Date: 1st Friday of every month
      Deaf Chat Coffee
      Panera Bread, 20530 Rand Rd #448, Deer Park, I
      6:00 PM to 10:00 PM
      Benefits and Attractions: Everyone is welcome. Meet new and old faces, share, learn, teach, few laughs, etc. Also, it is a great place for ASL students to improve their signing. Please let us know by email in advance if anyone wants to give a presentation. We will welcome anyone. Thank you for understanding.
      Contact: Janice Mancill at Jannie10749@gmail.com

6:00 PM to 10:00 PM
      Contact: Dawn Westhoff – dawnwestoff@comcast.net

Date: 3rd Friday of every month
      Deaf Coffee Chat in Mundelein
      Panera Bread, 1575 S. Lake St, Mundelein, IL
      6:30 PM to 9:30 PM
      Contact: Debbie Davis at missykepler78@comcast.net or Barbara Katzel at babsjimkat@yahoo.com

Date: 4th Friday of every month
      Deaf Chat Coffee in Geneva
      Starbucks, 1445 S. Randall Road, Geneva, IL
      7:00 PM to 10:00 PM
      Benefits and Attractions: Deaf Coffee Chat is enjoyable, family-oriented, smoke-free fun!!! You don’t even have to purchase anything at Starbuck’s, but we encourage you to buy something at the their shop. They always appreciate our business. It is a great opportunity for ASL students to learn while meeting people. If you’re hungry afterwards, we’ll go to Buffalo Wild Wings at Geneva Commons at 10:00 PM!
      Contact: Julius Borchert at Julius@glborchert.com

7. Arkasia
    Arkasia says:

Hi! My name is Cadhla I am looking for any events near Peoria, Illinois. I would also be interested in meeting someone for coffee or something to communicate through sign. If anyone is interested please let me know:)

8. Kimba
    Kimba says:

Hii my name is Kimberlee. Does anyone know of any events, conferences or socials in and around the Montgomery, AL area? Even in the Atlanta, Georgia area. Thanks in advance.

9. Danielle Thompson
    Danielle Thompson says:

I’m currently looking for events in Indiana. I am still in high school so it’d have to take place after 4pm on weekdays. Please let me know if anyone find anything.

• jlove1009
      jlove1009 says:

Jessica,
      I live in Holdrege. I come to Lincoln sometimes. I’d love to plan to meet up! I can come to you, too. I’d also be glad to pick you up and take you to a Deaf Event, if you’d like!

10. Deborah
    Deborah says:

I have a question about the Deaf Event Assignment….I don’t have a car and I live in Lincoln Nebraska. I know there are events in Omaha and in Iowa but I can’t get to them right now. I have two Deaf friends that I talk to and work with on a daily basis….can I use that to write my paper on….if I met one of them for coffee and we talked about things? I also have an ASL tutor through a site and I met with him every Sunday (he is hearing though) will either of these options qualify for right now? Thanks!!!

• jlove1009
      jlove1009 says:

I meant to reply to Deborah on this, but I guess I replied to Jessica. OOPS! I live in Holdrege and come to Lincoln sometimes. I’d be glad to meet up with you. I’d also be glad to pick you up and we can attend a Deaf Event together, if you’d like!

11. Jessica M.
    Jessica M. says:

12/8 Sioux Falls, SD

South Dakota Association of the Deaf (SDAD)
    Holiday Bazaar
    Saturday, December 8, 2018
    11am – 3pm
    Courtyard by Marriott Sioux Falls
    4300 West Empire Place, Sioux Falls, South Dakota 57106

12. alexis
    alexis says:

Hi, my name is Alexis. I’ve been slowly teaching myself for roughly 4 years but am looking for some more help. Anyone in the St.Cloud Mn (or surrounding cities) area able to help me out or know of any events I could attend?

13. KendraDMichelle
    KendraDMichelle says:

Hello everyone! I’m in Columbus, Ohio. I found some deaf events going on throughout the summer just to immerse yourself into real life. Not many small meeting groups (maybe I’m not looking in the right places) but here is what I found so far….
    -LIBERTY DEAF CAMP
    July 22nd-July 27th by Liberty Baptist Church of the Deaf
    Scioto Hills Christian Camp & Retreat Center 1009 Martin Rd, Wheelersburg, Oh 45694
    -DEAF AWARENESS NIGHT with Toledo Mud Hens (Baseball Game)
    Friday May 18th @ 7:05pm
    Fifth Third Field 406 Washington St Toledo, Oh 43604
    (tickets starting at $13)
    -DEAF DAY @ KINGS ISLAND
    June 9th hosted by Ohio Association of the Deaf Inc.
    Kings Island 6300 Kings Island Drive, Kings Mills, 45034, Oh, United States
    (tickets $37.50 +$12.00 for parking)

14. Melissa
    Melissa says:

I am in the Lenexa Kansas area. I was born hard of hearing. Recently my hearing has gotten worse. I am currently teaching myself online on this site. I have learned some things from ASL 1 unit 1-4 is what I have gotten through. If I could chat with someone and practice or talk about resources offered in Kansas area that would be great! I am looking to go back to school and hopefully become ASL interpreter. I have not had much luck with JCCC or UMKC. If you know of any schools or programs that would really help.

• Madi
      Madi says:

I’m going to UWM (University of Wisconsin in Milwaukee) in the fall and that’s where I plan to major in ASL and become an interpreter! They’re the only public college in the area with the program!

• Eric
      Eric says:

Below is info from Kansas School for the Deaf in Olathe. Also, check their website ksdeaf.org

Greater Kansas City Area

•KSD Parent Family Sign Language Classes, Nicki Waitley, nwaitley@kssdb.org
      •Deaf Expression (913)268-3323
      •Johnson County Community College (913)469-8500 ext. 3903
      •Olathe Medical Center (913)791-4312 Education@olathehealth.org (Fall and Spring)
      •The Whole Person, (for families in Wyandotte and Johnson counties) Email: info@thewholeperson.org

Lawrence & Topeka Area:

•University of Kansas Department of Special Education (785)864-0556 E-mail: specialeduadm@ku.edu

15. Jennifer Prevatt
    Jennifer Prevatt says:

Can’t find anything in Maine, but I do communicate with a deaf couple at least 3 times a week, some friends of mine. Also where I work in retail I wait on the deaf people that come in.. Does that count?

16. Steve M
    Steve M says:

Please stay away from Patricia Veilleux. She claims she is looking to practice ASL but in reality she is a scammer looking to scam deaf or hearing men for money. I am deaf and scammed by her by helping her $$ that had not been paid back since beginning September of 2017. She goes by different names online to hide her identities and continue to scam men (Mary Mcgary is another name and more). I am warning you Do NOT respond to her text messages and stay away from her. She isn’t here for ASL but money.

17. jordayna barrett
    jordayna barrett says:

Hi! I’m Jordayna. im from flat rock, Michigan. im looking for event near there. if anyone finds any please please let me know. im only 14 and I want to be an interpreter when I grow up. im not really fluent but I want to learn. thank you so much.

• Cheryl Grosinske
      Cheryl Grosinske says:

Hi Missy, My name is Cheryl, I live in Westland Michigan. Did you find any events in the area? I am currently taking ASL and I am looking for someone to practice with.

• Cami2016
        Cami2016 says:

I’ve just started relearning ASL and have had a really hard time finding anything around the Downriver area. I would be interested in hearing if you two have heard of anything. Or would be interested in meeting up to practice.

• Jocelyn Ross
      Jocelyn Ross says:

Hi,
      I too am looking for events in the Naperville area. I live at Bolingbrook, so it is not far. I even was thinking about a meetup.com group, but there are none that I could find. Do send me a text if you find anything to 630.640.4244. I am on lesson 3 with start asl and lesson 4 with asluniversity, so I am really new. How about you?

• DR
        DR says:

Hi Jocelyn and Bailey,

Consider checking out “Deaf Coffee Chats” on every Friday of the month. Each Friday, members of the deaf community (Deaf, HoH, Interpreters, and also ASL Students) converge on one location (typically a Starbucks) to hang out and build relationships within the Deaf Community. I would recommend you both check out https://happy.deafcoffee.com/category/illinois/ . This website has some additional information as well. There is also a recent addition of Yorkville to this list, although I’m not 100% sure on which Friday of the month it is on. For those that are more privy to a night-life scence, consider checking out Chicago Duppies on Facebook.

Good luck! :)

• Grace Guetschow
      Grace Guetschow says:

Ooooohhhh, I really wish I lived in Kentucky right now. We live in Minnesota and cant afford to drive to Kentucky just for one event right now, but the creation museum is AMAZING. We went once when I was nine or ten. I want to go again sometime and see the ark encounter.

• Barbara Childress
      Barbara Childress says:

Hello, I’m from Topeka, KS. I went to Wichita State University some years back. No I’m relearning sign language (ASL instead of Exact English) and would love someone to Scype.

• Arkasia
      Arkasia says:

Hi Anthony! My name is Cadhla I have been looking for events in Illinois for about a year now and haven’t had any luck except for on facebook. what part of Illinois do you live in?

18. Michelle Jay
    Michelle Jay says:

Take Me Out To The Ballgame
    Nancy Churnin, author of The William Hoy Story, presented in collaboration with the Hancock Historical Museum
    Mazza Museum, Virginia B. Gardner Fine Arts Pavilion
    09/18/2016 @ 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
    Mazza Museum
    201 College St.
    Findlay, Ohio

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Please leave only comments that add to the article or discussion. Any help or support comments should be directed to Start ASL Help & Support. Thank you!